This is a recent necklace, I just made. I had originally intended for it to look different, but I had to make some changes. I will be discussing this, later on. However, I still like the finished product and I do think, it will make a nice, Fall necklace.
Once again, the image I selected, is special. It’s a painting, by Robert Sabin, which was featured on the front cover, of a paperback book, entitled, The Pig -Out Blues, by Jan Greenberg. I actually checked this book out, in my school’s library when I was much younger, but I was too young, to understand its plot. Years later, I found it again, in the book section in one of my favorite thrift stores. However, its cover illustration is different. I think it may be the original artwork, from when the book was first published. I was intrigued by the painting, though, which is why I checked out the book, in the first place. So, it was rather disappointing, not to find the one, with the newer illustration. This illustration is significant, in that it’s a scene, described in one of the chapters, in the book. All I can say, is that this artist did an excellent job, capturing the mood of the main character and the scene in the book.
I wanted to use a bezel/pendant, that has the gold/tarnished antique look, like I have used before, on other necklaces, but there were none that I felt were right, for the image. The only ones I could find, had no ring/opening at the top, for beading wire. Also, some of the other ones were not big enough and I just didn’t want to purchase one, I had already used. I like to make each of my necklaces different, if possible. So, I finally settled on a silver, oval-shaped one, with a thicker ring at the top, which meant, I wouldn’t have to use a jump ring, to hang it on the beading wire.
I was going to recycle a broken, Valentine’s Day necklace of my mother’s, to attach the bezel/pendant, but when I couldn’t find an appropriate gold/tarnished one, as mentioned before, I decided it wouldn’t work. The bezel I purchased, didn’t go with the necklace. I then, recycled some vintage pearls, originally from a couple of necklaces, a friend gave me. I cut them off of their strings and polished them, and I decided to use some of my clear, resin flower beads, to separate the pearls into sections, when stringing. It works well with the image. At least, I think so.
Again, I had a much easier time, pouring the resin, since I used the ice resin syringe. I would say, there was a little more room to pour it, as well, which always helps. There are no dust particles visible, and that’s very good, too! Overall, this will be a good conversation jewelry piece, to wear.
Oh, and as for the book, I re-read it and of course, it makes more sense, now that I’m much older. It’s actually a fairly, good story, even though, it would be considered dated, by today’s standards. It’s one of those 1980s paperbacks, so that’s expected.